Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Museum of Natural History

My favorite of all the museums we visited while in DC was without a doubt The Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History.  I was hardly impressed when we first arrived.  The first exhibit we went through was Mammals Hall and I felt like I was walking through a taxidermy zoo.

As we continued walking threw the stuffed animals we came across the animal bones. This part was pretty cool.  Not as many full fossil skeletons as there was bits and pieces.  It was interesting but certainly not aww-worthy.  We were actually getting ready to leave when we realized that there was a second floor.
 Butterflies and Insect Zoo!  Tuesdays just so happened to be the free butterfly house admission.  The wait was 15 minutes but it was certainly well worth it!  I had been trying to get a shot of a Blue Morpho  when a friendly little butterfly came and landed on my finger. It was awesome...needless to say I didn't get the shot. :)
 The Gems and Minerals exhibit was my favorite part! But I suppose thats to be expected. What girl doesn't like pretty, shinny things? The bottom pictures are Aquamarine, Ruby, and Emerald.


 

The evolution of Man
We spent most of our day here because it was so fascinating! We had plans of visiting the Arlington National Cemetery but opted to fill our bellies instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment